IBM announced today that it is establishing the IBM Watson Group, which will receive more than $1 Billion in investment to continue developing the capabilities of Watson and to make new cognitive applications and services available.
Included in the $1B figure is $100M available for venture investments in the ecosystem for cognitive applications powered by Watson.
The Watson Group, which will draw from over 2,000 professionals, will have a new Silicon Alley headquarters at 51 Astor Place in New York City. The group will be led by IBM Senior Vice President Mike Rhodin.
Also announced today are three new services:
IBM Watson Discovery Advisor aims to revolutionize how industries such as pharmaceutical and publishing conduct research.
IBM Watson Analytics allows users to explore Big Data insights through visual representations, without the need for advanced analytics training.
IBM Watson Explorer is designed to help users across the enterprise uncover and share data-driven insights more easily, while helping organizations launch big data initiatives more quickly.
You can learn more about today’s announcements and the new Watson Group through the following links:
- ibmwatson.com: IBM Watson Group
- Press Release: IBM Forms New Watson Group to Meet Growing Demand for Cognitive Innovations
- Press Release: IBM Watson Group Unveils Cloud-Delivered Watson Services to Transform Industrial R&D, Visualize Big Data Insights and Fuel Analytics Exploration
- The New York Times: IBM Is Betting That Watson Can Earn Its Keep
- Smarter Planet Blog: Live Blogging from the IBM Watson Event